Coopers Plains-Long Acres Fire Department
Plains-Long Acres Fire Department was incorporated in 1953. It was started with
one truck, a 1936 Ward LaFrance/Ford Pumper, and some portable pumps by the men
who wanted to have a fire department.
fire department building was completed in 1955. It was remodeled in 1974, and in
1985 the department built a second floor addition which includes a kitchen and
community room, as well as adding fire bays. The current building has five truck
bays and storage on the ground floor.
department has the following equipment:
district includes all of Long Acres and Coopers Plains, which is NYS Route 415
from the Village of Painted Post line to the Campbell Town line. In addition,
the district includes Aurene; West
Hill Road; Smith Hill Road; and the portions of Beeman Hollow Road, Erwin Hollow
Road and King Hill Road in the Town of Erwin. The
department provides joint fire protection for the area including Corning
Incorporatedís Sullivan Park facility.
The fire department is a Volunteer Fire
Department with an Insurance Services Organization (ISO) fire suppression rating
of Class 4. The fire department is very proud of this rating because it is
usually only earned by full time professional city fire departments.
Besides fire suppression, the fire department
provides BLS First Response for EMS calls, vehicle extrication, and has a large
cache of cribbing and Rescue 42 stabilization struts for vehicle and building
stabilization. Coopers Plains Fire
Department is also a participating member of the Steuben Regional Technical
Rescue Task Force for structural and trench collapse rescue.
The department has approximately 24 active
volunteer firefighters, a five person Board of Commissioners elected by the
residents of the Fire District, and an active Ladies Auxiliary with
approximately 15 members.
More information on membership can be found